Search This Blog

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Chapter Five, Part Two

Part Two
Oliver drew back and then to the right, bypassing car after car, circling the guy until he was behind him, two rows away.
Inching forward, Oliver advanced, never taking his eyes off the man.
One row down, one more to go. Oliver came close, his black leather dress shoes making no sound on the interlocking stones below.
And then, he was directly behind him, able to see the folds of fat in the back of his neck.
The accomplice swung around, surprised to see a white man standing right behind him. His brows merged, his eyes started to narrow and then Oliver smiled.
“Hello sir, can you tell me if I’m in the International Conference Centre?”
The man’s face relaxed slightly. He eyed Oliver. “Yes, yes, you are.”
“Thank you very much, sir.”
And as the man began to turn back to face the entrance of the park, Oliver dug his hand into his jacket, pulled out a gun and rammed it into the guy’s flabby side.
The man froze, eyes round. Uncomprehending. Scared.  He mumbled, “What?”
“Give me the detonator now.”
“I don’t know-”
“Don’t tell me you don’t know what I’m talking about because I’m not in the mood. I’m hot and I’m angry and my fingers are itching to blow your fat stomach into smithereens. Give me the detonator. Tell me where the bomber is.”
The man’s eyes roamed the park, searching for help.
Oliver leaned in close, sticking the muzzle of the gun deeper into his side. He flicked the safety.
“Oh God, Oh God, save me.” The man dissolved into a blubbering heap, tears leaking from his eyes and down his cheeks.
“You’re a coward, just like every other terrorist. Tell me what I want to know.  Now!”
“Okay, okay.” The terrorist wagged his head. “I-I’ll tell you b-but it won’t really help. She… She h-has orders to d-detonate the bomb if she doesn’t h-hear from me in five minutes.”
***
Sable Rose Writer_Unhinged by his Him
“Hot Chocolate, you’re looking very pleased with yourself. What have you done?” Tari said, grinning at Dare.
Dare stretched his legs out and shook his head, struggling not to smile. He said, “I don’t know what you mean, Tari.” The taste of Wumi remained on his tongue. And he could still smell her scent even though she was backstage and he was here.
“Yeah right.” she jacked up an eyebrow.
Tari was sitting on Dare’s right, in the front row. On her right were three empty chairs. Music was blasting from hidden speakers. People were taking their designated seats. Voices raised in greeting rang all around them.
“Do you think they’ll be here in time to catch the show?” Dare asked, glancing at Tari.
She shrugged. “I don’t know. I hope so.”
“What do you know about this threat?”
“Not much.”
“Come on, Tari. You’re dating one of them. Didn’t Steven tell you anything?”
“All he told me was that some Boko Haram fanatics wanted to infiltrate this event and cause some mayhem.”
“Like a bomb?” Dare stared at Tari.
“He didn’t say bomb, actually.” She sighed, then said, “I trust Steven and Oliver and Kema. They’ll take care of everything.”
Dare wiped his face with his hand. God help them all.
Tari tugged at his arm. “Hey, lighten up. We’ll be fine. How’s everything at the Lagos office?”
“Same old.” Dare muttered. He added, “Sometimes I miss the time I spent working here.”
“Of course you do, because you miss working with your best friend.”
He grinned at her. “Yes, I do.” Amazing how his forced transfer to Abuja had led to him gaining a new best friend. It took Wumi months before she could finally accept his relationship with Tari.
He remembered the day Tari had strolled into his office, calling him ‘Hot Chocolate’ and asking for his underwear size. He had thought she was nuts. His opinion hadn’t changed much since then. And maybe that was why she was the only woman in the world who could influence Steven Braithwaite.
“I miss you too.” She squeezed his arm. “Hot Chocolate.”
“Will you ever stop calling me that?”
“Never. Don’t fight it. Go with the flow.”
“You know Wumi hates the name.”
“Awesome.”

Share this post on social media if you enjoyed it.
Learn about the heroes and heroines in the Character Profile page

The Unhinged Book Series; Book 1, 2, and 3 will be out this 2016. Find out more at the Unhinged Books page