Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2016

Chapter Seven, Part Two

Part Two
"Come on, up." Dare said, hooking his arm in Tari's and forcing her to her feet.
She stared up at him. "I'm enjoying the music."
"You’ll still be able to hear it backstage." Dare said. "I have another pass for you. Let's go congratulate my fiancĂ©e."
"Do we have to?" Tari muttered, leaning into him as they left their seats and headed through the back entrance.
"Yes."
Flashing their passes at the bouncer, they pushed into the crowd that seemed to have suddenly materialized backstage.
Dare scanned the room. Who the hell were all these people? And then he saw her.
Wumi. In a white sheath dress that hugged her curves. Her long braided hair was wound up into a bun at the back of her head, giving him a perfect view of that sleek, gazelle-like neck. Damn, she was stunning.
Their gazes linked over the throng.
Grinning, Wumi rushed over. She flung her arms over his neck, eyes glowing. "Babe, I did it!"
"You did." Dare smiled, slipping his hands around her waist, and drawing her body nearer. He whispered against her mouth, "You were superb. I'm very proud of you."
Awww, baby..." Wumi crooned, touching her lips to his.
Dare's body stirred. The feel of those soft, bouncy breasts against his chest, the delicious smell of her perfume... coconut, and a hint of musk.
"Take it down a notch, please. I'm here too." Tari announced, one eyebrow cocked.
Dare and Wumi laughed, but they inched apart, one of Dare's arms still wrapped around her waist.
"Wumi, you were... amazing..." A man, face half-covered by large round black-framed eyeglasses, in a linen shirt over blue jeans, launched himself at them.
"Yaya!" Wumi exclaimed, beaming. He kissed her cheeks, one after the other.
"You walked the runway like you owned it, oomph!" Yaya shouted, laughing. "And who are these cool people?"
Wumi patted Dare's cheek, saying, "This is Dare DaSilva, my darling." She tilted her head toward Tari. "And that's my friend, Tari Johnson."
"Pleased to meet you, Dare, Tari."
Wumi added, nodding at Dare and then Tari, "He's the designer, Yaya Obo."
Dare shook his hand. "Great job."
Tari did the same. She smiled at him. "You're very talented."
"Thank you, both." Yaya said.
Wumi said, "Yaya studied fashion in London. He's done shows in London, New York, Milan... I love his clothes."
Tari nodded. "I agree. The orange and teal one she wore... love, love, love."
Pushing the glasses up his nose, Yaya said, "Thanks. I designed that one with Wumi in mind. I was invited to show my clothes at this event, a fabulous opportunity I couldn't pass up and for some reason, I sketched this dress minutes after, thinking that this had to modeled by Wumi Osoba. No-one else. And even though she was retired, I knew I would have to persuade her to do this one final show. And luckily, she agreed."
"Thanks for thinking of me, Yaya." Wumi said.
"It's always a pleasure to work with you, you know that.”
“Will you be able to make our wedding?” Wumi asked him.
“Of course, Wumi. I wouldn’t miss it, though I wish you had given me more than a month’s notice. I would have designed the perfect wedding dress.”
“That’s so sweet of you, Yaya.” Wumi said, “But my stepmom insisted on buying me a Vera Wang. She practically begged me to allow her handle that.”
“I understand. Anyway, I hope you all had a great time. You know, I love being in this building... It's one of the safest places to be in Abuja." Yaya said, smiling.
Dare, Wumi and Tari traded glances.
"Couldn’t agree more." Dare said.

Share this post on social media if you enjoyed it.
Learn about the heroes and heroines in the Character Profile page
The Unhinged Book Series; Book 1, 2, and 3 will be out this 2016. Find out more at the Unhinged Books page